A.k.a Summer’s tastiest treat totally cranked up a notch.
So I don’t know about you guys but the summer months make for cooking, baking and blogging to be a burdensome task. For those of you with a Monday-Friday, good ole’ fashion 9:00-5:00 job, you tend to want to spend your free time outside enjoying the beautiful weather. Those of you with these types of jobs who still are greatly dedicated to your food and blogging I commend you, it takes willpower, passion, and extreme dedication. If you haven’t noticed these are all traits I clearly lack as this is my FIRST post since July. My calendar claims there is a month between July and September, I say it’s in the past no use dwelling on it…
However, before the summer is OFFICIALLY over (summer isn’t done till September 21st folks, don’t get ahead of yourself now) I wanted to share with you an indulgent summer treat I cooked up that just had socks being knocked right of people’s feet left, right, and centre.
Peanut butter S’mores squares.
I upped the anty on these s’mores.
I smacked some peanut butter cups in the middle. I wasn’t satisfied. I then slathered some peanut butter on top, level of satisfaction = satisfactory. I found some peanut butter chips, I
drizzled poured those on top. I was now pleased.
S’mores as we all know are quite possibly a summer staple for just about anyone. BBQ, camping, bonfires, you name it, s’mores need to be a part of it all. So when I was tasked with providing a dessert for a BBQ I attended I thought, squares are always an easy dessert idea for a large group. I then thought how much less messy is this version of s’mores?! But I still wasn’t full satisfied.
Luckily later that night as I was indulging in my daily peanut butter obsession, a thought dawned on me. S’mores + peanut butter = heaven!
So here we have it folks, your new summer dessert recipe for your last 18 days of summer. I hope you all had a wonderful summer and take every opportunity to enjoy the last bit of warmth before cozy sweaters and fall colours become a staple in your everyday.
And please remember, there is no such thing as too much peanut butter.
Peanut Butter S’mores Squares
Makes on 9×13 inch pan, about 48 small squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugars together, beat for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time mixing until incorporated, then add the vanilla.
- With the beater on low, gradually add the butter and sugar mixture to the dry mixture. Mix well.
- Separate the batter so you have 3/4 of the batter for the bottom, and the remaining 1/4 to layer on top. Press the 3/4 portion of the dough into the pan, spread so that it is even. Now for the good part, sprinkle the peanut butter, chocolate chips as well as the peanut butter cups on the base. Reserve 1/4-1/2 a cup of the chocolate/peanut butter to sprinkle on the top. Now sprinkle 3 cups of marshmallows on top of of the chocolate.
- Take the remainder of the dough/batter and spread along the top of the marshmallows. I took sections and flattened in my hands before placing it on top of the marshmallows.
- Once adequately covered, place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out and sprinkle the remaining marshmallows and chocolate/peanut butter on top. Return to the oven to bake for an additional 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove, allow to cool and feel free to share if you’re feeling generous.